Monday, August 25, 2008

NEWSFLASH! Woody Allen is Funny


HANK:

Woody Allen wrote a fantastic piece for the NY Times which appeared yesterday. It's called "Excerpts from the Spanish Diary" here's a couple of my favorite parts:

JUNE 15

Work finally under way. Shot a torrid love scene today between Scarlett and Javier. If this were a scant few years ago, I would have played Javier’s part. When I mentioned that to Scarlett, she said, “Uh-huh,” with an enigmatic intonation. Scarlett came late to the set. I lectured her rather sternly, explaining I do not tolerate tardiness from my cast. She listened respectfully, although as I spoke I thought I noticed her turning up her iPod.


JULY 15

Once again I had to help Javier with the lovemaking scenes. The sequence requires him to grab Penélope Cruz, tear off her clothes and ravish her in the bedroom. Oscar winner that he is, the man still needs me to show him how to play passion. I grabbed Penélope and with one motion tore her clothes off. As fate would have it she had not yet changed into costume, so it was her own expensive dress I mutilated. Undaunted I flung her down before the fireplace and dove on top of her. Minx that she is, she rolled away a split second before I landed causing me to fracture certain key teeth on the tile floor. Fine day’s work, and I should be able to eat solids by August.


For some reason, I've been a little hesitant about seeing Allen's movies recently. But this piece is making me want to go see Vicky Christina Barcelona.

Read the whole thing here.

1 comment:

pierce said...

this is excellent. even though hes still a keen writer you have to wonder sometimes if hes still as self aware and knowingly ironic as he was once famous for. this reaffirmes that.


pierce